Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Rotten Luck..

So, Brazil is out of the FIFA World Cup. This unexpected and unfortunate event shattered the dream of millions of people all over the world (of seeing this team lifting the cup), including yours truly. Let me clarify that I am not a die hard fan of Brazil, in fact I am not as passionate about foot ball, as some of the people I know. But, I am following this world cup, well because of the hype it has generated and because some of the games are really hard core. The reason that I am pissed off is that I had a lot riding on Brazil's win.

Initially, I was supporting Argentina and more recently, Germany (after their amazing win over England). Then our MD made this grand announcement that if Argentina lifted the WC on 11th July, the next day, that is,12th July would be a holiday for the entire office. So, I was back on Argentina's side, praying fervently for its win. This Friday, the equations changed again. The MD took back his initial decision, as it was considered to be unfair by some employees (if only we could get their names, I am sure a lot of people would like to give them an earful) and 12th july was declared as a normal working day. Instead, another offer was made by him.

This time all of us had to choose a team each, out of the eight quarter finalists, that each one of us was supporting and thought would win the finals. Whichever team won the final, all the people supporting that team will be given an off on any day of that week !!! As expected, at the mention of a holiday, everyone sharpened their brains, brought out their analytical skills (we are Analysts after all) and started a focussed analysis of every team. Hours were spent on discussions, meetings, statistical comparisons and what not. We had ample information to create a 100 slider presentation on the subject. On top of that, was the betting going on in the office, and as money was also involved, the stakes were even higher. Majority of us, who were not very well versed in the nuances of the game, reached out to a certain individual who is considered to be a database of FIFA WC 2010. He remembers every goal, every yellow/red card given, every match result, every injury, basically just about everything. So naturally, we all were relying on his gyaan of the game to earn us a holiday and loads of money.

After a lot of explanations, reasoning and logic, it was concluded that Brazil was the safest bet. It was playing against Netherlands in the quarters, which was considered a relatively weaker team. What a blunder we all made by underestimating this team, I now realize. Anyway, all of us were 110% confident that Brazil would proceed to the semis without much effort. In the semis it would be playing against either Uruguay or Ghana, whoever won the 2nd quarter final. These two team s were considered even weaker than Netherlands. So, it was confirmed that Brazil's position was fixed in the top 2. Going by other statistics and research we all said our prayers, thanked that person for showing us the light, and opted for Brazil. I, being a risk taker, even placed bets on Brazil. Thus, began the wait for the clock to strike 7.20 pm, and the match to begin.

The first half, as witnessed by everyone, was great with Brazil dominating the game. The second half ruined everything, since Netherlands played as if they were the world's number 1 team and Brazil, on the other hand, could not do anything to save themselves and lost. My weekend was destroyed, my chhutti gone, and my money lost..sniff..:'( What do I call this if not my rotten luck. Who would have imagined that a team like Brazil, which had lost only 1 game out of their 16 previous world cup games, to lose and that too against a team like Netherlands !!!!

As I end this post, I look at the watch. It's 7.13 pm, only seven minutes to go before Argentina vs. Germany. I would love to see Germany win this game, because being a sadist, I will be able to derive some pleasure out of the misery of all those in office who support Argentina (I know that along with Brazil, the Argentinian team was the hot favourite among the people)

Signing Off,
Sad and Depressed

4 comments:

  1. I am shifting to your company. You are getting too many days off! ;(
    I supported Netherlands, then Germany! Both won! :D
    Nice fun work environment you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @preeti..here I am cribbing away at the lack of holidays, and you say that I am getting too many days off !!!..not true gurl

    Looks like you have good intuition, to support for a team like Netherlands..should have asked you before placing my money on Brazil..:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moral of the story: Don't let a statsman drive your betting :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jaspreet..I think the complete moral should be: Don't let a statsman, but an octopus drive your betting..:P

    ReplyDelete