Saturday, July 5, 2014

A Happy Post!! :) :)

I am 4 weeks into my 10-week MBA Summer Internship and thought this would be a good time to write about my experience till now. I am working with a technology start-up, Lockhouse Network (lockhouse.net) , in Pittsburgh as a Corporate Strategy & Business Development Intern.

I absolutely LOVE working at this place!! I don't think I've ever felt more excited, enthusiastic, and happy while working before. If I remember correctly, I was almost always frustrated and stressed with my old job. But this is just a turn around. This time everything is different, and all for the good!

Y'all must be wondering about the reasons behind my joy and excitement about this job. Well, there are quite a few of them but I'll share the most important ones with you.

1. Struggle: I had to struggle hard for 4 months before this internship offer materialized. It was tough giving so many interviews and keeping sane. I was determined not to take up any random offer and applied only for the jobs I was truly interested in. But it all paid off in the end and suddenly from zero offers one day I had 3 offers within the next 7 days :) :) It was a good kind of stress to make the correct decision. My heart was set on Lockhouse from the beginning, but I assumed I had to decide using my head. So I had a lot of discussions with my parents and friends, and when they also encouraged me to follow my heart I went with this offer. Believe me, I thank god everyday that I listened to my heart and ended up here!

2. People: The one thing I've realized after working at Lockhouse is that the people you work with is the single most important factor in determining your degree of satisfaction and contentment with a company. Money, career growth, etc. are also important, but secondary factors. I'm working directly with the CEO and the VP - Marketing & Strategy, and they are Amazing!! Both of them are very down-to-earth, humble, respectful, and flexible. Both of them have accomplished so much in their life, but they have no arrogance or superiority complex about it. After dealing with arrogant and uptight company personnel for so long this was a pleasant surprise for me!

3. Work: The second most important thing to consider while deciding on a job offer. When I decided to go with Lockhouse I knew what I had to do, but I'd never imagined that it would be such high responsibility work. My opinion is asked, and taken into account, for any business-related decision that is to be taken. Also, I had never thought that I'd be using so many concepts that I had learned during my first year of MBA. But every other day I go back to look at the notes of some course I had taken last year, to move in the right direction. Some courses and workshops that have proved to be very very useful are - Service Management, Finance, Marketing Research, Marketing Management, Writing for Managers, Management Presentations, Pricing, and Excel Modeling for Managers. It gives me such great satisfaction to actually be using the concepts learned in the mentioned courses.
Another exciting thing related to work is the amount of appreciation I get for doing this work. I admit that I am not comfortable with getting compliments about my work because I feel I'm just doing my job, but that doesn't deter my managers from continuously appreciating whatever I do.

There are a lot of other things that I love about that place but it'll take me a long time to list them down.

I don't know what is in store for me in the long term, and what will happen after the 10 weeks are over. I only hope and pray that it is as good as this opportunity with Lockhouse!

Checking Out Now!
Ciao :)

3 comments:

  1. Hope next 10 weeks turn out even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice people and a nice manager makes any workplace heaven. Money and brand is all useless. So happy to read this. All the best. And, as I always say good things happen to good people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to hear about this, Aastha! You totally deserve this! :)

    ReplyDelete